Did you know that a well made cutting board that is cared for properly can last forever? It's true! Here are a few tips about how to make sure your cutting board lasts.
To Clean – choose one of the following
- Warm water with a little bit of dish soap. Scrub gently and rinse thoroughly. Ensure the board is stood up on edge to dry – never laid flat.
- Sprinkle the board with coarse salt and add some lemon juice. Scrub with a brush. Rinse. Stand the board on edge to dry.
Dos and Don'ts
- Do treat your board well and it will last the rest of your life.
- Do treat your board regularly with Brown’s Board Butter available from Wood Thingamajigs.
- Do clean thoroughly after every use to prevent future cross contamination.
- Do use both sides of your cutting board if it does not have feet on it.
- Do spread your cutting over the entire surface of the cutting board.
- Do not put your board in the dishwasher. This is the fastest way to ruin your cutting board.
- Do not use bleach or anything other than water, lemon juice, salt or dish soap to clean your board.
- Do not use food based oils (vegetable, olive, etc) on your board. If the oils go rancid, your board is ruined.
- Do not leave a cutting board to soak.
Guest Post by Wood Thingamajigs